Manual Lymphatic Drainage (MLD) and CDT) for Lipedema

lipedema, lipoedema, lipodema, lymph system, lymphatic disturbances, lipedema patient stories, lipedema blogs, resources, treatments, information pages, painful fat syndrome

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

Manual Lymphatic Drainage (MLD) and CDT) for Lipedema

Postby patoco » Sun May 27, 2007 10:11 pm

Manual Lymphatic Drainage (MLD) Complex Decongestive Therapy (CDT) and Lipedema

Recently, one of our members from the UK, Helen made a couple marvelous posts on MLD/CDT for lipedema.

Helen is a certified lymphedema therapist as well as a lipo-lymphedema patient. I can't say enough good about how much she adds to our family and about the quality of her posts, compassion for others and tireless committment to help.

I thought it might be helpful to share a couple of her posts on lipedema treatment.

Thnx Helen :) :D

MLD/CDT treatments - number and frequency

A course tends to be a minimum of 10 treatments on consecutive days...
having said that...

It depends on the client and the client's legs!

For instance - don't be surprised about the following (from a Vodder-trained therapist):

21 consecutive daily MLD / CDT treatments (incl daily bandaging and the
measuring and fitting for compression tights) lasting approx 2 hours each - this would be for someone with very poor lipoedema with lymphoedema as well.

Sometimes it's even twice-daily over 21 days...... re-mortgage the house time, if going private!

10 consecutive daily MLD / CDT treatments (incl daily bandaging and the
measuring and fitting for compression class 2 tights) lasting 1 1/2 - 2 hours each - this might be for someone with lip who also has problems with normal oedema (which probably comes on in the latter half of the day).

7 consecutive daily MLD / CDT treatments lasting 1 1/2 each - this might be for someone with moderate lip who has experienced pain. Followed immediately by 1 treatment every 3-4 days for 3 sessions in total (or more if the client requests it). I always do kinesiotape in between those last 3 sessions...

The reason for the 7 treatments is that lymph has incredible inertia and doesn't get moving until you're well into the course of treatments. At that point, with 'simple' lip I can get away with doing those 7 treatments and then spacing the remaining 3 out. In that way, the client benefits from having their lymph moving by the 7th treatment and then, as it has already got its own momentum going, the treatments can be spaced a little as the lymph is still moving in between.

Another thing someone could do would be to have treatment every 3 or 4 days (that's just MLD - not CDT) but to have it from a therapist who is also trained in kinesio-taping. That way you could have 1 treatment, be taped up (from axilla - the armpits - to a fanshape over the thighs) and that would last for 4 days until your next treatment. That would be something I would try with someone who is short of time/money/patience or support from loved ones. that kind of thing.

It works well on a lot of patients. you must have a patch-test done though to check you are not sensitive to the acrylic glue which is on the tape.

Hope that helps.

Let me know how you get on or if you have any problems...
Helen
x

As with all treatments that have a de-toxifying effect on the body... with a
therapist's advice (and if appropriate) it's good to start the process by
drinking lots of water and, if poss, having juices (not 'smoothies', but
'extracted' fruit and/or vegetable juice). You stand a better chance of not
having murky headaches during the treatments then (as everything starts getting stirred up with MLD - though headaches are uncommon) and the extra goodness can only benefit you at a time of great change for your body. see
http://www.happyjuicer.com/ for more info - haven't see the site before but it looks interesting.
x

Helen

MLD/CDT treatments - number and frequency etc - update

Hi again,

Having just re-read my last email I just wanted to add that it CAN be
possible to treat lip and lymph together in 10 days rather than more.
It really does depend on the client and the condition of their legs and
how long they have had the condition.

If in doubt, ask for 1 consultation to establish how often you wold
need to be treated.

Sorry - i should think you were all thinking "heck!"

Helen

MLD/CDT treatments

Just finished yet another course of intensive consecutive daily treatments.

My client was really happy with the results and felt that there was more 'space' in her legs. As an added, unexpected (she said) bonus, she lost 7lbs in weight as well (considering she started out at 13 stone 6lbs - that's a good result).

MLD and CDT can be a really useful therapy for some lipoedema patients. It is especially good for softening up the legs - the inside knee fatty lump being a good example - if that's all hard and purple then the lower leg lymph won't be able to drain through there to the inguinals at the top of the thighs.

It really is my wish though that the world would stop focussing on generalised fat and obesity and lay off victimising those like us who cannot help the way we are.

Maybe if that were so, there would be more patients like mine today; someone who came to get healthier legs and was pleased to lose weight as an 'extra' - she was realistic at the start of the treatments and didn't come to the initial consultation already deciding that I was going to shift 4 stone of fat from her body...!

Having said all that, I know I have lipoedema but I am always overwhelmed with a sort of pride for the women who go through these intensive treatments with such spirit and determination. It' s a wonderful thing to see when they really 'get it' and understand that they are helping themselves longterm.

Hope you dont mind my sharing that. sometimes I think we lippers need a pat on the back.

Support Group

Lipedema Lipodema Lipoedema

No matter how you spell it, this is another very little understood and totally frustrating conditions out there. This will be a support group for those suffering with lipedema/lipodema. A place for information, sharing experiences, exploring treatment options and coping.

Come join, be a part of the family!

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/li ... =209645515

Subscribe: lipedema_lipodema_lipoedema-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Lymphedema or Lipedema

http://www.lymphedemapeople.com/thesite ... podema.htm

Lipedema Forum

http://www.lymphedemapeople.com/phpBB2/ ... m.php?f=18

Big Leg Woman

Being a journal of my learning and experience through lipedema.

http://biglegwoman.blogspot.com/
patoco
Site Admin

Return to Lipedema